· Pete McKee announces Council Skies, a new book exploring his career throughout the years, with many works previously unseen by the public.
· Book signings in Brighton, Birmingham, Sheffield and Nottingham to coincide with pop-up gallery tour.
· Council Skies on sale from 15 June 2019 at pop-up galleries and www.petemckee.com
Press Images available to download here
Pete McKee is delighted to announce details of his latest book, Council Skies.
This publication offers the most comprehensive overview of the artist’s work since he began painting in 2004. Growing up on a council estate has shaped the content of McKee’s work, which offers unique social commentary on working-class life, music and subcultures. Council Skies features never before seen sketches and over seventy colour illustrations of the artist’s work to date.
The title, Council Skies, has a biographical element, referencing the artist’s working-class roots. Additionally, it is a nod to the artist’s process. McKee’s palette often includes colours given names informed by his experience and perspective, exemplified by ‘council sky blue’.
The book also features a foreword by Mary O’Hara, award-winning journalist for The Guardian and author of Austerity Bites: A journey to the sharp end of cuts in the UK. The introduction was written by Dr Sue McPherson, Principal Lecturer in the Department of Humanities at Sheffield Hallam University whose research is predominantly rooted in the relationships between class and culture.
Pete McKee said, “I’m really proud of this book because I fought long and hard to stand on my own two feet and declare I was an artist. Council Skies represents my childhood, love of music, fashion, the working class, family and life’s simple pleasures. I set myself strict parameters regarding my artistic process and the basic materials I use. I’m grateful I’ve been able to stick with these constants whilst developing my style over the years which I think the book demonstrates.”
Printed in Sheffield, this hardback book is priced at £25. It will available to purchase from 15 June at the pop-galleries in Brighton, Birmingham and Nottingham, along with the McKee gallery in Sheffield. It will also be available to purchase at www.petemckee.com.
To celebrate the release of Council Skies Pete will be hosting several signings around the UK in conjunction with his pop-gallery tour. The details of which are as follows:
- Brighton: 10am-12pm, Saturday the 15th of June. ONCA, 14 St George’s Pl, BN1 4GB
- Birmingham: 10am-12pm, Saturday the 6th of July. Arch 21, Custard Factory, Gibb St, B9 4AA
- Sheffield: 6pm-8pm, Thursday the 11th of July. Ambulo, 48 Arundel Gate, S1 2PP
- Nottingham: 10am-12pm, Saturday the 27th of July. Floor 1, Rough Trade Nottingham, 5 Broad St, NG1 3AJ
Further details on each individual signing can be found on: www.petemckee.com