The Three Little Pigs have a pretty hard time in Shrek the Musical. They get exiled by the impudent Lord Farquaad and dumped in a swamp where they don’t receive the warmest of welcomes from Shrek. So imagine their horror if they were to find out that they’re also a much-loved kitchen staple! Well, that doesn’t have to be the case. You can create your very own bacon without using any little pigs, because let’s face it, they’ve been through enough!
This bacon recipe has the same salty, smoky, meaty satisfaction as real bacon but is totally meat-free as it uses tempeh as the key ingredient.
If you’re vegan-curious, cutting back on meat, or simply a little pig-sympathiser then do give this a go!
Tempeh bacon recipe (serves 2):
- Block of tempeh
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown rice syrup
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
- Slice tempeh into thin strips
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a dish
- Add the tempeh strips to the marinade
- Leave to marinate ideally for a few hours, but around 15 minutes will still do the trick if you’re pressed for time
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees
- Line a baking tray with baking paper
- Lay out the strips of tempeh on the baking tray and pour over any remaining marinade
- Cook for 30 minutes, flipping the tempeh over halfway through. Keep an eye as it cooks – if it crisps quickly then take it out earlier and if it isn’t crispy enough then cook it for longer.
- Remove the tempeh from the oven
- Serve in a vegan BLT, with scrambled tofu, or however you fancy!
The full recipe can be found on Lydia’s blog https://naturallylydia.home.blogBack to Journal